Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Day 1 - A complete life style change

Day one was interesting to say the least. You don't realize how many products you eat containing sugar, and processed junk until it's no longer in your diet. In fact, I'm finding it sad how conditioned our taste buds are to finding processed foods so appeasing.

I won’t lie, in terms of meal plan, day one was brutal. I thought I would try to step out of my shell, and eat foods I normally dislike (milk, nonfat plain yogurt, nonfat cottage cheese). I tried them all, didn't like them at all, but found the strength to push through and eat the meals I planned for myself. Here's a little breakdown of what my day 1 looked like:

Meal 1: Berry Protein Smoothie
Ingredients: whey protein powder, almond milk, 1 cup frozen mixed berries and ice

I thought I had it in the bag with this meal.... the first sip I took, I gagged. The protein tasted awful, and I could TOTALLY taste the almond milk. Yuck!! But about half way through I realized my mouth was so numb that I couldn't taste it. I kept telling myself it's for a good reason, and finished it.

Meal 2: Yogurt Bowl!
Ingredients: 1 cup nonfat plain yogurt, 1 apple (chopped), 2 tbps walnuts (chopped), 1 tsp. honey

I completely underestimated the interesting flavor of nonfat plain yogurt. OH BOY! The only thing that kept me going on this was the large amount of apple that was mixed into it. I talked to my mom and she gave me some sound advice "pretend that it's sour cream, that's how I learned to love it".

Meal 3: Whole wheat pasta with steamed veggies
Ingredients: 3/4 cup whole wheat pasta, 1 cup steamed mixed veggies, 1/3 cup feta

Personally.. I love feta. This was a pretty good meal, but a little bland.

Meal 4: Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich
Ingredients: 2 tbsp. peanut butter, 1 tbsp fruit preserve, 1 slice whole grain bread

This was delicious, but REALLY can you mess up a pbj?!

Meal 5: Steak and Broccoli
Ingredients: 3 oz flank steak, 1 cup broccoli (steamed), 1 small baked potato. Was allowed to use lemon juice and Dijon mustard for taste.
I found an extreme love for Dijon this meal, because it was the only thing I could dip my steak (not a big meat eater), and potato in. Ever have a plain baked potato? It's freaking DRY! But decent none the less.

All in all not the worst day possible, but stepping out of my comfort zone is definitely a struggle. I don't want to be stuck eating the same 5 things every day though, so I'm determined to continue a well balanced variety.

Now.. The first day’s work out.

OMG! I literally thought I might die at the end of it. Keep in mind, the first work out for Insanity isn't a true work out it's a "fit test" and WOW I felt about as fit as a hippopotamus after this was said and done. Max interval training is no joke! Half way through the work out my ear was hurting (I have terrible sinus blockage right now). By the end of the work out my heart was racing, I was terribly sweaty, light headed and felt like I couldn't see straight. LOL now THAT'S a work out. I literally curled up in the fetal position, when I mustered up the courage to walk upstairs and crawl in to bed, and called my mommy (I needed some soothing).

I'm terrified of Day 2 workout, but as I said.... I'm not going to give up. Besides, it only gets easier from here right?! :)

Oh!! Two day one pix, to keep a picture diary of my (hopefully) transformation.




No comments:

Post a Comment