Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Day 2 - Schedule is KEY!

OH BOY! Day 2 was, um... fun? My schedule was completely off. I had to drop my car off in Dallas in the morning, and didn't get home until noon! Keep in mind I should be eating every 2.5 hours (starting at 8am!). I have to eat five meals a day, and had to cram four meals into an entire afternoon. By the time dinner rolled around there was no way I could finish. Schedule is definitely key to maintaining my calories!! Overall day two wasn't too bad though. My meals for the day were surprisingly delicious (other than dinner which was a TOTAL nightmare!).

I was almost terrified to workout. Day one was pretty intense, and my quads & calves were killing me. But I pulled through and did the work out, although didn't work out as hard as I should have. I figure as long as I'm still moving that's good enough. Plus I still want to be able to make it upstairs to bed!! I haven't had a "real" workout like this in about 6 years so my body is definitely scrambling to keep up right now. I'm confident if I can make it through this week I'll be able to step it up and take it to the level I need to.

I did realize today that I need one of those heart rate monitor things. Max interval training is a series of workout routines built to keep your heart rate up high for 3-4 minutes, and then you get 30 seconds of rest (where your heart rate drops back down a bit). It's really hard to keep track of a safe heart rate though without some sort of monitor. I've already requested that I get one for mothers day! :)

Today's meal plan:

Meal 1: Bagel with Turkey
Ingredients: 1/2 whole wheat bagel (scooped out), 1 tbsp whipped cream cheese, 2 slices of tomato, 2 oz. deli style turkey

To be really honest with you, when I read that I needed to scoop out the "innards" I had a pretty bleak outlook on the meal, but after I stuffed everything inside the shell of bagel, it was amazing and I really didn't miss the extra bread! I actually think this is an amazing breakfast for anyone!

Meal 2: Vanilla Berry Protein Shake
Ingredients: 1 cup almond milk, 1 cup mixed berries (frozen), 1 scoop whey protein powder, 1 tsp vanilla extract, 1/2 banana, ice to thicken (if needed)

After my first experience with the Berry Protein Smoothie I was really scared about this smoothie. Let me tell ya... WOW! this was delicious. I was actually a little sad when I finished it. I couldn't taste the almond milk, or protein powder at all.. and it was like this perfect consistency.

Meal 3: Grilled Chicken Salad
Ingredients: 3 cups dark greens, 1/2 apple (chopped), 1 tbsp pecans, 3 oz grilled chicken, cucumber (as needed/wanted), lemon juice to taste

Amazing!! And quite filling. It was a very refreshing meal.

Meal 4: Cold Cut Platter:
Ingredients: 2 oz deli style turkey, 2 oz deli style ham, 1 oz lowfat swiss cheese, sliced tomato, and 100 calories worth of whole grain crackers (i got whole grain wheat things)

By now I was so full I was having a hard time to convince myself to eat this meal. I ended up eating every 1.5-2 hours throughout the afternoon to keep on track with my meals.... 2 oz of deli meat sure doesn't sound like much.. but wow.. It was 2 -3 large slices of each, 11 crackers, tomato and the cheese. So much food, I actually didn't end up eating the whole thing, but it was very good. Even my son loved it!!! He was very proud of himself for eating healthy. As soon as daddy got home it was the first thing he told him!! "Daddy I ate a healthy snack!!" of course he didn't eat the cheese, but everything else he did. I was SO proud!!

Meal 5: Chicken Meatballs
Ingredients: 3 oz ground chicken, 1 egg white, 1 tbsp bread crumbs, 1/2 cup whole grain pasta, 1/2 cup tomato sauce, 1 cup green beans (steamed)

Um.... chicken meatballs... look, feel, and smell disgusting. Making them was the worst experience of my life. In fact I became so disgusted making them that I couldn't force myself to eat them. I sustituted 1 cup of beans instead.... Everything else was good. Although if you have heartburn issues I definitely suggest taking zantac before eating the tomato sauce (very acidic!)

Anyways... I'm excited to keep moving forward! Day three is Cardio and Resistance training! dun dun dunnnnnn.....

No comments:

Post a Comment